Monday, August 31, 2009

Dim Sum


Since today's lunch was the final straw, and the impetus to finally start this blog, I must apologize for being a bit ill-prepared, and thus this post may be a bit lacking.

I promise to provide better visuals in the future.


The ORDER: Dim Sum - Noodles/Pad Thai עסקית נודלס/פתאי
Price: 30 NIS (Prices may vary)

The CLAIM:
Sauce Options:
Traditional Chinese Soy-based Sauce
Spicy Sauce with Coconut Milk, Chili, Peanuts, Scallions, and Cilantro

Dish Options:
Noodles with Tofu and Vegetables
Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables
Pad Thai with Tofu and Vegetables
Pad Thai with Chicken and Vegetables

My CHOICE: Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables with the Coconut Sauce
Special Requests: Not Spicy

The DELIVERABLE:
Two of us ordered from the restaurant. My co-worker order the Chicken Pad Thai - same regarding the sauce. I received a nice bag with separately packaged orders - with additional pickled vegetables - and one sweet and sour sauce, 2 soy sauce, and one spicy sauce for each of us, along with chop sticks, a fork, and respectable amount of napkins (which is really important to me since I have a tendency to really need napkins). The printout said "Coconut - Not Spicy". A good start.

Then I opened the box.

Talk about ugh. Double-ugh. It was beige and sad and limp and so not appetizing. My co-worker's Pad Thai didn't look much better.

It looked like the kind of stir-fry noodles you pick up at Lemon Grass or one of those awful Thai/Chinese places on your corner that use the chopsticks font or attempt some kind of lame play on words like "Met Su Yan".

I wouldn't really have had a problem if there were no further description besides chicken stir-fry - because then they can do whatever they want. I also probably wouldn't have ordered there - since I have yet to enjoy any stir-fry in Israel besides River Noodles Bar.

However, the seller was the - peanuts + cilantro + scallions - the only things I pretty much like in my stir-fry. It sounded very similar to Gong Bao chicken - which is one of my favorite Asian dishes.

So, you can imagine my disenchantment when I saw this colorless, depressing dish.

Not only was there no memory of a peanut, a speck of cilantro, nor a milligram of scallions in this dish, I'm fairly certain there was no coconut milk in it either.

In essence I think that all four dishes + both sauces are one and the same.

The VERDICT: Awful

A disappointment to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your own 10Bytes and gripes - or Cibusts - this is a place for our voices to be heard!